Tuesday, January 8, 2013

That's what DVR is for....

Over the weekend when I said, "Who's excited for Monday?" and my mom and sisters replied, "OMG, yeah I can't wait!", I knew we weren't talking about the same thing.  We quickly realized there was going to be a serious conflict come Monday night in our house.

Sean Lowe's season premier of The Bachelor
or
the BCS Championship Bowl game.

Can you guess which one I was more excited for?

Yes, I reluctantly religiously watch the always drama-filled and usually ridiculous ABC series, The Bachelor and Sean was my favorite throughout Emily Maynard's season of The Bachelorette.  But it was the BCS Championship game.  The biggest game of college football.  The game that every player dreams about playing in.  This year it was Notre Dame, who started the season un-ranked, against Alabama, looking to defend the title.  As David Pollack tweeted, Bama (& the SEC- who everyone is sick of winning) or Notre Dame (who everyone loves to hate)!  How perfect is that comparison? But seriously?  What college football fan didn't want to watch the best teams of the year compete in the biggest game of the year?  I certainly did.  

So I DVR'd The Bachelor, cause that's what it's for- to watch shows later and at your convenience. And although we usually watch TV shows together, my dad and I watched the BCS game upstairs while my mom, sisters and their friends watched The Bachelor downstairs.  It just wouldn't be the same to watch the BCS game today and especially after last night.  

I'm not a die hard fan of either team. But I will say that I am a fan of the SEC in general and also the tradition that is Norte Dame! Prior to the game I said that I wanted/ thought Alabama was going to win because I like and have much respect for Coach Saban.  Though it would have been nice for Notre Dame to win a championship for the first time since 1988, I just didn't think the Irish could stop Coach Saban and the Roll Tide! Clearly they couldn't even slow them down, let alone stop them!

I wanted to see Norte dame win for Manti Te'o because I also wanted to see him win the Heisman! But, his performance was sub par to say the least.  And although he had many missed tackles I don't think he's any less of a player and I wouldn't think it will affect him too much come draft time! He's had an outstanding career!

BAMA obviously dominated from the beginning with only one pass for 80 yards in their first drive. After a kick off to Alabama with the receiver down field signaling a late fair catch that was "fumbled" then "recovered" by Notre Dame, the refs called a kick interference giving Alabama 15 yards.  I would have said that play hurt Notre Dame, but its not like they answered Bama's momentum with exciting drives of their own! So who cares about that could-have-been bad call. 

My dad started snoring before the half even ended!  And I can't say I blame him.  Did Notre Dame know there was a game going on?  Did they know they were playing for the National Championship Title?  Didn't look like it!

I was hoping Norte dame was going to be a different team in the second half but on their opening drive Alabama intercepted a pass.  On offense, Alabama's Eddie Lacy continued to plow through Notre Dame with the help of his solid offensive line.  The amount of missed tackles by Notre Dame could correlate to that of a bad high school football team.  Where was the team that started the season un-ranked, became the #1 college football team and recieved a BCS bid?  I mean really, what the hell happened?

Like I said, I thought Alabama was going to beat Notre Dame, but I at least thought it was going to be a game to watch.  I never expected Alabama's quarterback's girlfriend to be such a hot topic during the game. 

Side note: Alabama's quarterback, not to mention 2 time National Champion, AJ McCarron, would be dating Miss Alabama! Did people really expect anything less? They're like the Gisele and Tom Brady of college football.  And was anyone else creeped out by Herbie and Musburger's commentary about her?  I guess there really wasn't anything else to comment on.

I think it would have been a more entertaining game if Oregon played against Alabama for the title. The Ducks' defense might not have been able to keep up with the Crimson Tide, but their offense would have kept the score interesting and given everyone an entertaining game to watch instead of the snooze-fest that was Monday night.  

Regardless of the score, Alabama didn't back down! Clearly, cause they won 42-14. They played the game through and through- still blitzing, still passing and running the ball- that's what you like to see, even though they completely blew ND out of the water, it's a championship game, you have to come to win and you have to play hard!

So, Congratulations to Alabama and Coach Nick Saban on a fantastic win and the Dynasty that now is Alabama Football.  Winning 3 National Championships in 4 years is extremely impressive and AJ McCarron is the first QB to win back to back championships in BCS history! -Wowzaaaa!!!

And with that, College Football season, aka my most favorite time of year, has officially come to an end!  I'm going to try to adapt Coach Saban's rule of only mourning or celebrating for 24-48 hours (he said both in an interview, so which is it, 1 or 2 days?).  Then I'll be anxiously waiting for the 2013 CFB season to start! :)

. . . . . . .

Thinking about it now, I don't know why I didn't switch to watching the bachelor once the game was at the point of no return for the Irish.  It's probably because they had already started watching it downstairs and I wouldn't have seen the whole thing.  I'm excited to watch the shit show of drama tonight and pick which girls I think are the most desperate.






No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...