Monday, June 3, 2013

Remembering Grandma

Barbara Logan
January 29, 1936- June 3, 2003



 Today marks the 10th Anniversary of my Grandma's passing.  

At 13 I didn't truly understand everything she had taught me, which is a shame. But I do know that I cherish the memories I have and I looked up to her very much.  

As I've matured through this time, gotten closer with my family and grown in love for each one of them, I know that it's the foundation that she laid for us.  She was a wonderful woman who always instilled the notion of Family First- something we all appreciate and understand the importance of.




We have an incredibly close, loving and supportive family because of my Grandma.  Holidays, Birthdays and other family get-togethers are not something that we complain about or are reluctant to attend (even if we do call it Forced Family Fun), but something we look forward to.  I cherish and value the dynamic of our family very much.  My Grandma was always so happy when the entire family was together and I know she hasn’t missed a family party!


Whenever I remember my Grandma, I remember playing cards.  We always played some sort of card games together.  My Grandma always had a deck of cards with her.  Her favorite game was Canasta and I was extremely excited when I learned how to play it with her.  To this day playing cards is a family-favorite and a huge part of that is because of Grandma.  I remember when I was about 10 years old in LBI, my Grandma taught me (and cousin Kate) how to Bridge Shuffle.  I remember feeling like a real card player because I knew the “cool” way to shuffle. Every time I play cards, I think of her.

When I was growing up I wanted to be a teacher, just like my Grandma.  Instead of going to work with my dad or staying home with my mom for “Bring Your Child to Work Day” I wanted to go to school with Grandma.  I remember being so excited that I couldn’t even sleep the night before.  I spent the entire day watching her teach and hanging out with her students.  Her students loved her.  Everyone in that school loved her.  It was awesome to be able to see my Grandma out of her “Grandma Role”, but still see her love her students and see the respect and admiration that she received from the people around her at work.  The next year I went to school with her again and this time Kate came too!

I remember my Grandma loved to sing.  She would sing anything, even regular sentences occasionally.  I specifically remember one time I was singing in the car with her and Grandpa and she told me I had a beautiful singing voice.  I believed her for a while, but now that I am older and have heard myself attempt to sing I know that she was just being the warm, kindhearted woman she was by complimenting me!  When I sing by myself in my car and know that I am butchering my favorite songs I still remember her looking back at me from the passenger seat in the car that day.  Her favorite song was I Hope You Dance by Lee Ann Womack, which I appreciate more each time I hear it and know they are messages from her.  
Traveling is something that Grandma and Grandpa loved to do together.  I always loved when they would come back from one of their exotic trips (ever since they went to Alaska, I’ve wanted to go) and tell us all about it and show us the pictures.  I want to travel like they did.  I want to see the world.  I want to travel everywhere and I think that Grandma (and the rest of our family) has instilled the “Travel Bug” in me. 

Grandma and Grandpa were not only a wonderful example of true love for their children, but also for their grandchildren.  Their love is something that I know we all admire and look for in our own relationships.  My mom has told me countless lessons in love that she has learned from my Grandma and the example she set of what it takes to be a loving wife.



I terribly miss her signature Naked Pink lips and the marks they would leave on our cheeks. 

As a family, we know she is always with us and that our memories and family traditions are something that we will cherish forever. 

Remember your loved ones today & everyday.

xoxo
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...