![]() |
| via |
Since winning the Heisman Trophy, Johnny Manziel has had quite the life. He has attended parties, red carpet events, sporting events, and met celebrities, but also had to learn how to handle the new-found fame and never-ending attention/pressure of the media/fans! And let's just say, he's still learning.
![]() |
| Johnny with Lebron James, via his Instagram |
I'm not sure weather to feel bad for Johnny or think he brought this on himself.
He's a kid, we know this. But he is also a "public figure" with an image for himself, his school and the sport of college football to uphold. In each case (minus his new allegations) he has taken responsibility for his actions. But that's just it.. he apologizes after he does it, knowing that he shouldn't have done it in the first place.
![]() |
| Media crowding around Johnny at SEC Media Days |
There have been College Football players that have won the Heisman Trophy at a young age before, and what makes Johnny different from them is, again, his maturity. Take Tim Tebow for example. He won the Heisman at a young sophomore. He still had years left to mature in college and grow as a player. He had the attention just like Johnny is experiencing, but did not handle it the same way! I'm not saying I'm a fan of Tebow's, or that I'm not. Truthfully, I'm indifferent. I'm just saying that their maturity levels at that age were different.
Other athletes Johnny's age, who granted may not have won such a prestigious award, but are in the eyes of the media non-the-less, have not acted the way Johnny has during the off-season.
AJ McCarron, University of Alabama Quarterback and 2-time National Champion, is a great example of someone who knows he's looked at to set an example. At the SEC Media Days he said, "I want to be that type of guy that younger kids can look up to. I want them to have a role model." This is not me saying that McCarron deserved the Heisman, but I think he might have been able to handle himself a little better in the after math! (Maybe next we'll talk about what it will take for him to win in 2013)
Its been pointed out by the media that Bryce Harper, Outfielder for the Washington Nationals, is less than 2 months older than Johnny and the maturity levels are on opposite sides of the spectrum. It makes me wonder, does Johnny not take his "role" seriously? No one would care if some other, "regular" student at Texas A&M said they couldn't wait to leave College Station. But it has a completely different meaning coming from "Johnny Football". And that's also where the maturity comes in. He just can't say stuff like that and the fact that he took to Twitter to rant about "a parking ticket" can be deemed immature. Johnny said, "At points in time, I feel like it was blown out of proportion. But I should have known better," as he addressed the media at the SEC Media Days!
Whether you agree with the NCAA rules that say that students on athletic scholarship are not allowed to work or accept monetary compensation are "right" (and I'll tell ya, I don't- Texas A&M is making boat loads of money off this kid and he gets nothing in return? That's not fair), he broke them. He knew the rules and knew the controversy that would arise if he broke them. Johnny has shown that he is thinking "Me", not "We". Which I think will hurt him down the road when the NFL is thinking about him. (again, Bryce vs. Johnny)
Sure, his football skills and development as a young college football player and more specifically a Saturday in November at Alabama, put him on the map and in contention for the Heisman Trophy. But was he ready to win it? Was his ready to handle everything that came along with it- the media attention, the fan attention, the celebrity status, and everything as a whole? Was he ready to live his life fully in the public eye? I think it's safe to say, no.
Other athletes Johnny's age, who granted may not have won such a prestigious award, but are in the eyes of the media non-the-less, have not acted the way Johnny has during the off-season.
AJ McCarron, University of Alabama Quarterback and 2-time National Champion, is a great example of someone who knows he's looked at to set an example. At the SEC Media Days he said, "I want to be that type of guy that younger kids can look up to. I want them to have a role model." This is not me saying that McCarron deserved the Heisman, but I think he might have been able to handle himself a little better in the after math! (Maybe next we'll talk about what it will take for him to win in 2013)
Its been pointed out by the media that Bryce Harper, Outfielder for the Washington Nationals, is less than 2 months older than Johnny and the maturity levels are on opposite sides of the spectrum. It makes me wonder, does Johnny not take his "role" seriously? No one would care if some other, "regular" student at Texas A&M said they couldn't wait to leave College Station. But it has a completely different meaning coming from "Johnny Football". And that's also where the maturity comes in. He just can't say stuff like that and the fact that he took to Twitter to rant about "a parking ticket" can be deemed immature. Johnny said, "At points in time, I feel like it was blown out of proportion. But I should have known better," as he addressed the media at the SEC Media Days!
Whether you agree with the NCAA rules that say that students on athletic scholarship are not allowed to work or accept monetary compensation are "right" (and I'll tell ya, I don't- Texas A&M is making boat loads of money off this kid and he gets nothing in return? That's not fair), he broke them. He knew the rules and knew the controversy that would arise if he broke them. Johnny has shown that he is thinking "Me", not "We". Which I think will hurt him down the road when the NFL is thinking about him. (again, Bryce vs. Johnny)
Sure, his football skills and development as a young college football player and more specifically a Saturday in November at Alabama, put him on the map and in contention for the Heisman Trophy. But was he ready to win it? Was his ready to handle everything that came along with it- the media attention, the fan attention, the celebrity status, and everything as a whole? Was he ready to live his life fully in the public eye? I think it's safe to say, no.
But really, Johnny didn't choose this and all of it does not make him any less deserving of winning the Heisman Trophy or any less of a football player. Actually, we'll be able to judge that better once the season starts. You know that if he doesn't play to people's standards right off the bat, everyone is going to blame it on his shenanigans in the off season. And well, now I guess we have to worry about if he'll even be playing at all.
Based on the 2012 season, Johnny Manziel earned the Heisman and should reap the benefits. He should just be more mature in the decisions and choices he makes, knowing very well that everyone is watching and that people are looking to him to be a role model, whether he wants to be or not.
Based on the 2012 season, Johnny Manziel earned the Heisman and should reap the benefits. He should just be more mature in the decisions and choices he makes, knowing very well that everyone is watching and that people are looking to him to be a role model, whether he wants to be or not.




No comments:
Post a Comment