The other day as I was having a conversation with a new friend I saw her glancing at my bracelet a few times. The bracelet that I've worn off and on for 7 years but hasn't left my wrist since September 30th. The bracelet that sometimes can either bring me to tears or make me smile in an instant when I look down at it. The bracelet that has a story much different than I ever thought. The bracelet that's a bright royal blue and reads "Drew's Hope" in white letters. I wanted her to ask me about it. I wanted to tell her everything about what the bracelet on my wrist symbolizes. Maybe it's because I miss him so much or because the new friends in my new life don't really know his story. But I wanted to tell her and I didn't know how. I didn't know how to tell her that "Drew's Hope" is the name of the foundation my aunt and uncle created for my cousin. That Drew's Hope has been a staple in my community back home- raising money and awareness for Batten Disease research. That because of the money raised Drew was a part of innovative research for the disease and others throughout his life. And mostly I didn't know how to tell her that we lost him just 2 months ago.
But as a whole the bracelet means so much more than that. It symbolizes the hope for a cure. The hope we had for a miracle. The hope that Drew is an inspiration to others. The hope that Drew was a part of research that will be innovative in changing medicine. And really, to me, the bracelet reminds me to still have hope even though he's gone. To be grounded in my faith, even when that's shaken to the core. To find the good even when parts of your world are falling apart around you. And to be eternally grateful for the time I had with him and the countless lessons he taught me.
Drew was an angel on earth and this bracelet symbolizes everything he stood for.
No comments:
Post a Comment