Wednesday, November 7, 2012

bELieve #52

I've been going to football games for as long as I can remember, especially Rutgers Football games. And in my life I have never heard an entire stadium go completely silent, except once.  On October 16, 2010.

The Rutgers vs. Army game is always a big one for our family because most of my family has attended Rutgers, but my dad attended West Point.  That year the game was held at the New Meadowlands Stadium (where the NY Jets and NY Giants play) during its inaugural season.  So, just like every other Saturday of fall, we packed up the tailgating supplies and had a party!

This game turned out to be one the entire Rutgers Family (in attendence or not) will never forget.  Late in the 4th quarter on a kick off return Eric LeGrand #52 made a hit that echoed throughout the whole stadium resulting in numerous "ohhhh"s and cheers from the fans.  But after the hit, Eric LeGrand didn't stand up.  He layed near the 25 yard line immobilized with Coach Schiano, trainers, and then EMTs running to his side.  When the crowd realized he wasn't moving the stadium went silent then filled with quiet murmurs from the fans.  Eric LeGrand had become instantly paralyzed breaking the C3 and C4 vertebrae in his neck.  Eric was wheeled off the field on a stretcher and rushed to a nearby hospital.

The mantra "bELieve" was born in the Rutgers community and spread like wild fire throughout the country.  Eric LeGrand has become an inspiration for everyone who knows his story.  His attitude and determination are remarkable. 

He recently wrote a book, BELIEVE, that I just finished.  I highly recommend it for anyone.  It was an amazing eye-opener.  It is a wonderfully emotional book that makes you laugh and makes you cry.  Eric's story makes you appreciate the things you have and take for granted everyday.   


In the book, Eric addresses his changed life and the struggles he faces from being confined to a wheelchair with no movement below the neck.  He has never felt sorry for himself or asked "why me".  He takes his injury as a way for him to inspire others and spread awareness of spinal cord injuries.


 The first half of the book talks a lot about football- plays, games, and the Rutgers Football Program.  I didn't mind this because I love football and have been following Rutgers for years.  However, this may be boring to some people.

I loved the part of the book where he described an old Rutgers tradition of the Scarlet Walk (pgs 91-92)!  Though the section was short it was so descriptive.  Growing up and going to Rutgers games every weekend, the Scarlet Walk became one of my favorite parts of the RU football experience.  And when the team was 1-9  (in the early 2000's) those were the things you had to look forward to for excitement (well, and the Kid's Zone)!

Eric's description took me back to a place and time with all of those early years of Rutgers tailgates flooding back.  I couldn't help but smile.

I admit while I was in college I didn't attend the Scarlet Walk half as much as I would have liked, but that doesn't make it any less of a Rutgers Tradition.  I always look forward to those shots of Rose Tequila by the "big tree"!! :)

Eric LeGrand is very inspirational for everyone who knows his story and bELieves in him.  Everyone should remember this verse when we are feeling like we don't know what's in store for us.





No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...