Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Rutgers to the Big Ten!

It has been officially announced that Rutgers University Football team will be the 14th member of the Big Ten Conference starting at a date that is TBD, but most likely the 2014-15 season.  

When I heard the rumors flying around all sorts of social medias, all I could think about was:
 "HELLO BIG TIME COLLEGE FOOTBALL!!!"

Rutgers, to me, is more than my alma matter.  Rutgers is something that I associate with friends, family, football, my childhood, many memories and countless other blessings in my life.

In a way, I grew up on the banks.  Not only being a die-hard fan throughout childhood, being a student, and now an alumni, but having the memories that I have and being able to watch the football program grow into what it is today has been truly amazing.

I was in the stands when the team went 2-9 in 2001 and 1-11 in 2002.  I flew to Miami with my grandpa, aunt/uncle and cousins for the game against the Hurricanes in 2003.  I was there for the biggest win in school history when Rutgers beat Louisville, ranked #3 at the time, 28-25 on Thursday, November 9, 2006.  I also traveled to Houston Texas with my dad and other family members for the 2006 Texas Bowl against Kansas State.  I was there throughout a devastating 2010 season of 4-8;  the season with no bowl invitation and when Eric LeGrand became paralyzed.  I have been there during the scorching hot days early in the season, and freezing cold ones towards the end.  I have stayed during rain, snow, and really any weather condition that presented itself on game day.  And I have taken numerous road trips to Syracuse, West Point (Army), Anapolis (Navy), etc, to cheer on the Scarlet Knights.  But most importantly, I'm here now, as Rutgers is currently 9-1, looking for a Big East Championship title in 2012 and making a move to the Big Ten.

To say that I love football and Rutgers, both together and separately, is the understatement of the century.  I could not be more happy, proud or excited to watch the team and program "KEEP CHOPPING"!  I also see some very fun road trips in the future!!! I've always wanted to go to "The Big House"!

I have been waiting for Rutgers to make it to big time football my whole life and I am so excited to see where the program goes.  I am so proud to be a part of the RFamily!



My father sent me to old Rutgers,
And resolv'd that I should be a man (or a woman);
And so I settled down,
in that noisy college town,
On the banks of the old Raritan.
On the banks of the old Raritan, my friends,
where old Rutgers ever more shall stand,
For has she not stood since the time of the flood,
On the banks of the old Raritan. 

Then sing aloud to Alma Mater,
And keep the scarlet in the van';
For with her motto high,
Rutgers' name shall never die,
On the banks of the old Raritan.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...