Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Music Review :: Thomas Rhett, It Goes Like This

 I don't think I'll ever forget the first time I heard Thomas Rhett.  It was the beginning of my internship at Philadelphia's Country Radio Station (92.5 WXTU).  He had come into the studio on his radio tour to play for our Program Director and our Music Director (the people who decide what gets played on the radio).  All staff is invited to watch these acoustic performances and it quickly became one of my favorite perks of the internship and working for the radio station.

Thomas Rhett played Something To Do With My Hands, Beer With Jesus, and Whatcha Got In That Cup.  I was immediately hooked.  I loved his voice, his guitar playing and his image.  He was so nice, genuine, and seemed to really appreciate the people who gathered to hear him perform.  That experience made me appreciate the new-comers so much more.  They realize it's because of radio that their fans hear their music and help them succeed.

Since that day in early February 2012, I've seen him perform 4 times and "met" him twice more.  His EP was released sometime last year and I, of course, instantly downloaded and couldn't get enough of it.  I don't know if it's because of the "relationship" I've formed with him (and by relationship I mean we follow each other on twitter and have hung out back stage) or because of his music, but I really loved it.
Thomas Rhett recently released his first full album, It Goes Like This, which features his first three singles, Something To Do With My Hands, Beer With Jesus, and his first #1 hit, It Goes Like This.  The album does a great job of showcasing Thomas' strong voice, while having that country-rock feel and being musically diverse over all.  Honestly though, I'm a much bigger fan of his EP than the completed album.  The EP is where his better songs are.  Well, I'm not sure if I should say better or really just the ones I like better.

Though I'm not in love with all of the songs, Thomas Rhett is very talented.  He's been on the writing side on a number of hits that you've heard from Jason Aldean and others, not to mention, he's the song of award-winning song-writer, Rhett Akins.  It's going to be cool to see his career grow because his talent is amazing and he's going to be big time!  I'm sure he's going to capture a wonderful audience from this debut record.  It also doesn't hurt that he's so damn cute and has the best southern twang!  

My favorites from the album include: Make Me Wanna, Whatcha Got in That Cup, Something To Do With My Hands, Beer with Jesus (though it's sparked some controversy, I like it), and In A Minute!!

Definitely check out the album and let me know what you think. 
 

Kay Bee Elle

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...