Tuesday, May 7, 2013

My First Kentucky Derby Experience!

The Kentucky Derby is one of the most prestigious and well-known horse races. The race is one and a quarter miles, run by 3-year-old Thoroughbreds at Churchill Downs in Louisville, Kentucky on the first Saturday in May. It is also the first race of the Triple Crown.

My family is very into horse racing, going to the track every chance we get during race season! We not only like to gamble on the races, but love to gawk at the beautiful animals and wonderful atmosphere that is found at the track. The Kentucky Derby has been one of my favorite events for yearssss! I am obsessed. Or as obsessed as one can be without ever actually attending said event.

Until now.  And let me tell you, that obsession has only grown.  I have been dyingggg to go to the Derby. My parents have gone a few times but with school, finals and other factors it just has never worked out.  This year, I decided, was the year.  I convinced my dad that we had to go, found reasonably priced tickets on eBay, asked our wonderful friends if they were up for visitors, shopped for the perfect outfit, and off we went.

We left Wednesday night and drove the 11-something hours to Louisville, stopping to sleep at a rest stop, then to tour the Maker's Mark Distillery and finally the Louisville Slugger Museum/Factory. The Maker's Mark Distillery was great.  We walked around the historic grounds, listened to the springs of pure Kentucky water, touched the Mash, smelled the fermentation process, saw the numerous oak barrels, heard the bottling process, tasted the completed product, and most exciting, dipped our own bottles into the hot red wax.  It was such a fun tour and wonderful way to break up the drive.
At Louisville slugger we saw the process of how a bat is made.  There are different variations of the process depending on what the bat will be used for.  It was very interesting.
We then met Lisa & Dan for dinner and drinks, where we talked, laughed, and caught up before heading to their house to kick off some Derby festivities.  Lisa made Mint Juleps with her wonderful simple syrup recipe and my dad wore one of her hats, to really get in the spirit!!
Friday morning, my dad and I got ready and headed to Churchill Downs for a beautiful day at the Kentucky Oaks.  We walked around the the Grandstand and Paddock areas, soaking it all in.  The Kentucky Oaks Day has become a day of pink, since it's motto is in fact, "Ladies First"!  Oaks day is dedicated to the fillies (girl horses).
We drank Lillies (a drink made of Grey Goose, Sweet & Sour Mix, Cranberry Juice and Triple Sec... aka delicious), bet on the races, and watched from our 3rd row seats as the fillies rounded the final turn towards the finish line with the sun shining bright. 
We anxiously waited for the 139th running of the Kentucky Oaks with Princess of Sylmar taking home the lillies.  Unfortunately we did not bet on her to win, and had minimal success in previous races as well.

We left Churchill Downs on Friday eager for more on Saturday and hoping the predicted rain would either come quick and be done with or hold out until after the races.

No such luck.  After partying for most of the night- celebrating a true holiday in the state of Kentucky, and enjoying more time with our dear friends, we woke up Saturday morning to rain.  Lots of rain.  It rained all day long, and cleared up just before post time of the 139th running of the Kentucky Derby. 
Don't mind the flip-flops, I wasn't about to wear heels all day in the rain, especially when I wore them the day before ;)

While I was baring the rain and soaking in all the sights of this wonderful event, USA TODAY Sports photographer, Mark Zerof snapped this picture of me as I was walking through the paddock.  I wish I wasn't wearing that stupid poncho or had at least cracked a smile, but hey, it's kinda cool. 

We saw Luke Bryan and Rick Pitino (University of Louisville Men's Basketball Coach and part owner of Kentucky Derby contender, Goldencents) on the red carpet.  I also spotted Samantha Steele Ponder of ESPN and her husband, Christian Ponder, Minnesota Vikings QB walking through the crowd.  I'm a fan of Samantha's and think she is a great role model for women and those in sports.  I was thrilled to have met her.  She was so sweet and willing to snap a quick photo among the chaos.  (again, that dang poncho)
My dad and I continued to enjoy the day, not letting the weather stop us from enjoying the festivities and of course, sipping Mint Juleps!  We would wait in line at the betting windows, then stand in the rain to watch the races.  Unusual race conditions brings even more unpredictable race results.  It was fun to watch long shots winning races and having the weather be such a factor in the outcome, though I had little luck in choosing a winner!

The rain stopped just in time for the horses to parade on the track before heading to their posts.  From where we were sitting, we saw them start, come down the stretch to the first turn and then again as they rounded the final turn towards the finish.  It really is the fastest 2 minutes in sports and such a thrill.  ORB, a favorite in the race, pulled out away from the pack and won the race, with a long shot, Golden Soul to place and Revolutionary to show.  Of course I made numerous bets, including Golden Soul to win and Revolutionary to place, meaning once again, I was not a winner.
My bad luck and the nasty weather aside, the Kentucky Derby was everything I wanted it to be.  I had such a great weekend with my dad, life-long family friends and enjoying a sport that I love with such an iconic event.  I can't wait to see what ORB does in the next Triple Crown races and I can't wait to go back to the Kentucky Derby.
I loved this man's Secretariat Silks Suit!!! 
Early Sunday morning we started the drive home.  Once we broke from the storm in Kentucky, it was sunny skies and beautiful views through the mountains of West Virginia.  In between falling asleep and sing-a-longs with dad, I couldn't stop snapping away! 
You better believe, that if I don't go back to the Kentucky Derby next year I will be throwing a full-blown themed party.  Invitations to follow!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...