Thursday, June 26, 2014

That One Time I Played Soccer..

I have never been interested in soccer.  Maybe that's because I really don't know the game.  I know what a goal is (obviously) and that a penalty kick (PK) is when a penalty happens inside the box.  And that's about it.  I don't even really know what a penalty would consist of, to be honest, and I'm still clueless on the whole clock situation.

I played one season when I was 5 and it was painful- for both me and my parents.  I dreaded every game, always doing cartwheels on the field and excited for the after-game snack, but my parents made me finish out the season and I went to every game!  My parents always tell this story about me playing soccer:

One of our games must have been rained out because at the end of the season we had a "make-up" game.  Apparently I was sooo, overly excited for this "make-up" game and couldn't wait to get to the field- my parents had no idea why since I hated it all season.  The game was just like any other game, but when it was over I went over to my parents' blanket and said, "That was the worst make up game ever.  We didn't even get to play with any make up!"  My parents laughed hysterically and it's been a running joke in my family ever since.  

I started cheerleading that next season and never looked back.  It was the closest I could get to football, which had already become my favorite sport!  I continued to dread soccer even as I watched my sister play on her travel team for years...

But then four years ago when my summer job was watching 4 boys all day, everyday, we watched the World Cup, talked about the World Cup, played soccer every day in the yard and I didn't mind it.  And lately, I've been intrigued by soccer.  I've been interested in the World Cup and actually looked forward to it.  Though I barely know what's going on during a game.

I've also been following the evolvement of the new New York City Football Club team and wishing I was apart of it.  From the hiring of former Rutgers AD, Tim Pernetti, to the fan-voted logo and the signing of their first player, David Villa.  I've been immensely interested in the sport.  Who am I?

I wore my red, white, and blue and cheered the United States to victory last Monday night against Ghana and couldn't believe that last second score by Portugal in Sunday's game.  I'm excited to watch today's game, as the country I was raised in takes on the country I was born in! haha I'm totally rooting for the USA, I might start cheering for Germany if they make it further than us though!!

Anyone else have a new interest in soccer (or at least the World Cup), but still confused as to what's going on on the field?!

GO USA!! I BELIEVE THAT WE WILL WIN!!  I BELIEVE THAT WE WILL WIN!! :)


3 comments:

  1. LOL to the make-up game!! ;) I went to a soccer camp when I was like 7, thinking I was interested in it-- but the kids had all been playing since they were like, 3! I was horrible and cried on the first day. We didn't go back lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My son has been playing soccer for 8 years and I still know nothing about it! I can't get into the World Cup hype either... mainly because I've been so caught up in the CWS!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That makeup game story is just precious. And I am totally head over heels in love with the World Cup. Will I watch it if america gets knocked out? Absolutely not, but until that happens, I BELIEVE THAT WE WILL WIN!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...