Monday, July 22, 2013

A ROYAL BABY!!!!

Congratulations to William & Kate on the birth of their son, Prince of Chambridge!

Back in May 2011, just 2 weeks after the Royal Wedding, I went to London for an internship.  It was the best experience of my life, to date.  I keep telling myself I'm going to blog about it and first got the idea to start a blog while there.  I wanted a place to document my experience and adventures but stuck to an old fashioned journal which I still love to read every once in a while.  

To say I fell in love with London/England is an understatement.  I fell in love with everything about it.. the country, the city, the culture, The Royal Family, the shopping, the pubs...everything.  I learned more than I could have imagined and was especially fascinated with The Royal Family!!  Their whole family and line to the throne was something I found so intriguing since we don't have anything like that in America!

Ever wonder why there's currently no king?! It's because Queen Elizabeth's husband, Phillip, is Royal by marriage. He can't be of higher power than Elizabeth!  He is referred to as Prince Phillip, Duke of Edinburgh.  But Kate can some day be Queen when William is King! Some may think that's common sense but this is the sort of thing that fascinated me in London!  Who knew?
Changing of the Guards at Buckingham Palace
The Royals were a big topic of conversation while I was there.  I'm not sure if it's because I kept asking questions or because everyone was still on a high from the Royal Wedding (like I said, I was there 2 weeks later- London was still decorated head-to-toe in William and Kate and I'm still upset I missed it)!
Westminster Abbey- where Wills & Kate got married!!
There was also a lot of talk about William & Kate's future children.  Lots of people said she'd be pregnant within a year because now her main (possibly only) duty was to produce an heir and a spare.  With that there were a lot of questions/concerns.  At this time the rules of royal recession stated that the first born male will become the heir to the throne- meaning that if William and Kate's first born was a girl and then they had a son, the son would supersede the girl as heir to the throne. Poor girl. This hasn't been an issue for generations though. When King George VI became king in 1936 after his father died and older brother abdicated/resigned his duties, he only had daughters (Elizabeth and Margaret) to be the heirs to the throne. If King George had had a younger brother, he would have remained the heir to the throne and Queen Elizabeth would have never been queen! Fascinating. It's all mind boggling, yet so interesting!!!

Then Queen Elizabeth had a first born son (Charles) and then Charles' first born was also a son (William).  So though times were different then (aka women's rights weren't as president as they are today-well you know what I mean) it was never an issue that a younger son would become heir to the throne over an older daughter.

Today, it is an issue.  So before it could become controversial and in an attempt to modernize the monarchy, The United Kingdom changed the rules of royal recession in October 2011.  The rules now state that the first born, regardless of gender will be the heir to the throne.  So before this little prince was even born, we knew it would be the heir to the throne no matter what gender it was or the gender of future siblings.


This is Kensington Palace.  The palace is located near Hyde Park about 2.5 miles away from Buckingham Palace.  This will be the official residence of William, Kate & the Baby Prince!
Kensington Palace!!
UPDATE:  I loveeed watching the announcement of the Royal Baby's birth be placed on the easel outside of Buckingham Palace and then watching William & Kate present the Royal Baby to the world as they left the hospital all via livestream (thanks to E!)  It's all so fascinating to me!

Such a beautiful Royal Family!!!! :)
 Writing this post made me miss everything about London even more.  I can't even describe in words the amazing time I had in that city and how much love I have for it!  Sometimes I even think about naming a future child to reflect the city, what it means to me and everything I learned while there.  Names like London and Kensington would be my top choices!  And though it's only been a few hours, we still don't know the name of this little prince and future King, but I hope it doesn't take a week for them to announce like it did when William was born .  They had 9 months to prepare.

Welcome to the World precious little Prince!! I can't wait to first hear your name, see a picture of you and then watch you grow, totally not in a creepy way!!

UPDATE: And now, only 2 days later, we know that the precious little prince's name is  
George Alexander Louis 
and will be known as His Royal Highness Prince George of Cambridge.
I personally think Prince Alex would have been a cuter, more modern name for the little prince, but to each his own.  The name George is a wonderful fit and beautiful tribute to his ancestors and past kings!


CHEERS!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, kindred spirits once again! I've never been to England but it's absolutely tops on my list of places to visit. I'm fascinated by all of it and I just love this post!! Also LOVE those names for a baby!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh adore this post! I super creepy about the new baby too! Even though I was totally devastated that it was a boy #firstworldproblems haha. I really wanted a new little queen! I'm headed to London (& Paris) for my birthday in September and I can't wait! My niece's name is Parker London so we are gonna have to stock her up on London gear!!
    - SH

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...