Friday, July 17, 2015

Pride in the SEC

There is nothing ​that I've experienced ​in sports media that compares to the 4 day event of SEC Football Media Days.


The amount of media. The hype. The craze. The flashing lights. The screaming fans. ​It's really a skeptical like no other.

Two years ago I ​was invited to attend ​SEC​ ​M​edia ​D​ays without any affiliation to the conference. I built a relationship with someone who worked there and they offered me an opportunity to volunteer. As someone who was desperately looking to find her way into the industry I jumped at the opportunity. ​The experience immensely​ changed my career.​ And two years later I'm well on my way to the career I've always wanted.​ But that's a story for a different day.

During ​SEC​ ​M​edia ​D​ays I (among other students from schools across the conference) was invited to ​speak with ​Commissionor Greg Sankey​ in a small group setting in his​ ​presidential suite​ at the hotel. Listening to him talk was amazing. As a communications and public relations professional I love hearing people's stories. Hearing his was even better. We heard him talk about the chances he took, the opportunities he took advantage of and ​his emphasis ​in the importance of building relationships. He recommended books for us to read and thanked us for assisting in the production of the event.
As I sat there and took it all in, I realized the pride that beams from him as he talks about the conference. I recognized it because it's the same pride I knew I wanted to be a part of long before ever stepping foot on SEC territory. It's the pride that's felt for a team, a school, the conference as whole. The idea that if it can't be my team, I want it to be a team we're, in a way, associated with. He loves the SEC for the pride it brings among the fans​ and honestly, I do too​. Fans root for the ​SEC​. People chant S-E-C at games and championships for teams that aren't theirs. The SEC as a whole is a community larger than that of just one of its 14 member institutions. It's the greatest conference in college athletics. And as I paraphrase Commissioner Sankey from his opening remarks at the beginning of the week, as a conference we want to be scholars first, champions second.


In all, people want to be a part of the greatness that is the Southeastern Conference. I, for sure, am proud to be!



 photo post signature_zpsyd6xzwtd.png

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...