Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Things I Miss About The North

Since I've lived in the south people will ask me what I miss about the north besides my family and friends.  For a while this question really stumped me.  I really couldn't think of much.  Turns out when I had the chance to think about it, I do miss a few things about the north, most of which revolves around food, which is kind of embarrassing.  But here it is, the things I miss about the north:I miss having a plethora of pizzerias to choose from.  Domino's, Papa John's or whatever other pizza chains there are don't count.  Pizzerias are unique and on a whole different level than chain pizza.  And pretty much everything I just said about pizza applies to bagels too.  Biscuits and croissants are not an accurate substitute for bagels.  How are breakfast sandwiches not a thing in the south?
Italian restaurants (also part of those pizzerias and Olive Garden doesn't count), Italian bakeries, Italian deli markets.  My mom knows how much I love Italian cookies and how much I miss them that she sent me a box of my favorites for my birthday last year! Wawa is the place you go for a plethora of snacks, drinks, and built-to-order sandwiches.  It's typically a place we'd go before a road trip or when we're headed to the beach or really, anytime!  It's easy and delicious.  I love a great sandwich & now they even have chipotle mayo! YUM!  There is nothing (that I've encountered) like WaWa in the south.
Diners are a the type of restaurant where you can get whatever you want and they're typically open all hours of the night.  You're drunk and want breakfast at 2 am, diner.  You want lunch at 9 am, diner.  You want breakfast for dinner, diner.  Diners are relaxed, casual and typically have similar atmospheres and of course a counter to sit at!  They're typically not a chain, but locally owned.
And this may be crazy, but I missed snow!  Just a little bit, though.  I know that if I had as much snow as they did up north this past winter and last I'd be sooo sick of it.  There was a snow storm the weekend I moved last year and I haven't seen that magical white stuff since.  But more importantly, I miss skiing.  This was the second season that I haven't skiied and it's really weird for me.  I'm realizing I'm going to have to plan trips in order to ski again, instead of impromptu trips to the mountains on the weekends.
Even when living in PA I could get to the beach in an hour or less.  Some beaches were further, but day trips to the beach were very frequent.  This is the furthest inland I've ever lived and no beach access isn't good for the water-loving soul.  I need the sound of the ocean and sand between my toes during the summer months.  I'm going through a bit of withdraw, especially since I only got to spend two days at the Jersey Shore this summer, which is unheard of!
Do you have favorite things about the north?  photo post signature_zpsyd6xzwtd.png

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...