There are currently 5 teams in contention for the No. 1 and No. 2 spots in College Football and a shot at the National Championship Trophy. Those teams are:
#1 FSU
#2 Ohio State
#3 Auburn
#4 Alabama
#5 Missouri
The SEC (Auburn vs. Missouri), ACC (FSU vs. Duke), and Big Ten (Ohio State vs. Michigan State) Championship Games are all this weekend which will ultimately determine the final rankings/fate of these teams heading into Bowl Season. Alabama is the only team not playing this weekend. If FSU and Ohio State both win, they will have undefeated records and therefore the No. 1 and No. 2 spots in the rankings and bids to the National Championship Game. Done deal. Regardless if people think a one loss SEC team is better than an undefeated ACC or Big Ten team, an undefeated season for any BCS team is not easy and that alone deserves a shot at the title.
There's no reason to believe that Florida State will not win on Saturday. The numbers they have been putting up game after game are just outstanding. And especially now with charges being dropped against Jameis Winston, I can't see the Seminoles losing.
Ohio State had a sub-par performance against Michigan last week, but ultimately came out with the win. I think the hype of rivalry week and playing in The Big House got the best of them, they'll shake it off before heading into tomorrow's Championship game against Michigan State.
But what if one of them loses? What if they both lose? What will happen then? In the event that FSU or Ohio State loses, that's when the SEC has a fair case for one of theirs to head to the National Championship Game for the ump-teenth year in a row.
If Auburn wins, they will have beaten 9 bowl eligible teams this season. Pretty impressive, but Auburn also got extremely lucky this year. (See also: Johnny Manziel getting injured against Auburn, last minute answered prayer against Georgia, and well, beating Alabama). I have to admit though, I was rooting for Auburn in the Iron Bowl. How could I not root for the underdog, a team that went from zero conference wins to competing for the division title?
Alabama's dramatic, late-in-the-season loss to Auburn is enough to take them out of the National Championship talk for good. If God is an Alabama fan, Ohio State and Auburn will lose on Saturday (and if FSU loses, we'll know for sure that God wants Alabama for compete for the title for the 3rd consecutive year). If none of that happens, I believe we've seen the end of this Alabama dynasty!
What about a case for Mizzou? Missouri is a great all around team. They're great at passing and running; stopping and blocking. Numbers don't necessarily show their dominance, but that's because they've blown their opponents away. If Mizzou wins and Ohio State loses, they'll have to make a case against Alabama. A Mizzou vs FSU National Championship game would be a great match-up between two teams who have showed pure dominance over their opponents throughout the season.
Regardless of who plays for the National Championship Title, no one wants to see a boring blow out like we had last year.
My prediction is Florida State vs. Ohio State!
There's a slim chance we could have Ohio State vs. Alabama. A game that would have been played out last year, had Ohio State been eligible... the suspense and excitement of this weekend literally has me on the edge of my seat, but I doubt it will top the events of last week!!!
What do you think will happen? Who are you rooting for?
Click here to see my prediction at the beginning of the season!
Linking up with Sarah for Fan Friday! :)
Linking up with Sarah for Fan Friday! :)



See ya Ohio State!! Personally, I'm glad to see them get knocked out, I hate Urban Meyer. I just want someone competitive to play Florida State, do you think Auburn will give em a run? For some reason, I still feel Alabama should be in the championship. I realize they lost to Auburn, but I dunno. I just feel like they are the best. Ah well, I'm just hoping for a good game!
ReplyDelete