I'm not sure if I made this term up or if it's been used before, but I consider myself a "Culture Junkie"! The term describes my love and need to explore, learn and discover all kinds of cultures. I'm not quite sure when this started, but know it has evolved over the years as I've gotten older and traveled to more places. I love experiencing new things and going to different places. I love seeing how other people live and what makes a city, state, or country unique.
I haven't always been this way. I grew up in a predominately white area and truth be told, I didn't think anything of it until I went to Rutgers- "The University of Diversity". I had never been around so many different types of people before. And yes, you could say that it was because it was college- there are more people from all over and what not, but it really made me realize that there are so many ways of life out there. I wanted to learn about & experience them.
I'm a nosey person. I like to know things that are going on, even if it is completely useless information to me, for some reason I like to know. I also have a bad and embarrassing habit of starring or a term that's a little more acceptable- people watching. People fascinate me. I love to watch people who are amazing, inspiring, role models and I also like to watch train wrecks. In my opinion, you can learn from anyone- whether it's what to do or what not to do, you're learning a lesson.
Plane tickets have become my favorite thing to buy. I want to see the world. I want to travel. I seriously believe that "Travel is only thing you buy that makes you richer!" That quote is perfect.
Not only do I want to travel to other countries, I want to travel the country that I live in. I know that the United States has so much to offer. So many different cities and regions are known for different things.
I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list!
When I was living in London, I was shocked by what the people I met and interacted with there knew about my own country that I didn't. Granted, they were very interested in our politics, which I have very little interest in, but they also knew/had experienced many places that are "close" to me.
I find myself longing for travel, for adventure, to just go! I have a gypsy soul! & I love it!
Growing up I was taught that it's okay, in fact encouraged, to have roots and wings. To explore, learn, grow, and find who you are through all experiences, but never forget where you came from, who supports you, and to love with all you have.
Recently, I've been thinking a lot about mission trips. I want to go on one. I want to travel to less fortunate countries, offering services, worship and friendship as a way to grow and enrich the lives of others and myself. I've looked into a few, but would certainly accept any suggestion/ DOs & DONTs from someone who's been on one!
Really, "Culture Junkie" is similar to "Wanderlust". It's wanting to continue experiencing and learning from the many cultures of the world. I hope that I get to travel for the rest of my life.
What about you? Does your heart long for travel like mine does? Do you constantly want to go?








Gosh we are so much alike! When I picture life after my kids are grown ALL I can see is me traveling the world. I have NO IDEA how I'll pay for it all but that's really all I want to do! Great post!
ReplyDeleteYes! You can do it all and have it all!! You can travel the world and I can't wait to see you do it! My travel tips - get serious about tracking where you are spending your money. D and I live the life in NYC and still manage to hit up 6+ countries a year over 3 or 4 trips. But it's because we are smart and track every dollar spent. It's a commitment but if you love travel, it can be done.
ReplyDelete"Don't let the fear of the time it will take to accomplish something stand in the way of your doing it. The time will pass anyway; we might just as well put that passing time to the best possible use." - Earl Nightingale