Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Everyone Needs to Experience Mardi Gras

I've mentioned before how much I love cultures.  Experiencing new cultures and traditions is one of my favorite things and honestly you can find it everywhere.  One of my favorite cultural immersions was going to Mardi Gras in New Orleans and I think it's something that should immediately go to the top of your bucket list if you haven't experienced it already, and here's why:
New Orleans is an incredible place by itself.  Filled with welcoming people, cajun culture, french heritage, distinct food and historic buildings, I was continuously in awe of my surroundings.


Though some parades are more elaborate and extravagant than others, they are some of the coolest things I've ever seen in my life.  I've been to Disney Parades and The Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, but nothing will ever be as much of a glorious and amazing spectacle as the parades that take place during Mardi Gras.  Extravagant doesn't even begin to describe them.

From what I understand, Krewes are very exclusive.  Krewes are made of members of each carnival association (Krewe of Rex, Krewe of Endymion, Krewe of Bachas) that ride in the parades.  Each Krewe has a theme for the year and decorates their elaborate floats and wears costumes and masks.  Some people are very secretive about what Krewe they're in.  To be in a Krewe and roll in the parade costs lots of money for the members.  They all have to buy their own throws.

**YOU DON'T HAVE TO FLASH TO GET GOOD STUFF!!!**

First of all, the marching bands in the parades are jaw dropping.  They come from all over to march in the best parades of Mardi Gras.  But also, you can feel the music emanate on the street.  From the ones playing on the sidewalks to in the bars and clubs, the music is enough to write home about.  The piano bar at Pat O'Brien's was completely amazing- 2 piano players/singers taking any requests and a man tapping coins on a tray.  The music will speak to your soul.

I had some of the best, most exotic food while I was in New Orleans for Mardi Gras and it was all sooo delicious.  This includes beignets from Cafe Du Monde, turtle soup, jambalaya from a street vendor, shrimp Po'boys, crawfish, and of course..King Cake is a circle cake with icing and purple, green, and gold sprinkles on top.  Traditionally King Cake has a tiny plastic baby inside and whoever gets the baby in their piece is supposed to buy the next cake.Walking around Bourbon, Canal, and the French Quarter with Daiquiris or Hurricanes in your hand is all totally fine since there are no "open container laws"!  And if you buy a drink at a bar and decide you want to go somewhere else, you can just ask for a to-go cup!  One of my favorites drinks was called Voodoo Brew from a bar called The Corner in Jackson Square.  Sooo good!

The parades are perfect for all ages.  Families bring ladders for kids to see the parades as they roll by and others bring chairs to sit up close to the barricades.  Mardi Gras is definitely an event that is not limited by age group and everyone has a wonderful time.    

And last but not least:


  
 photo post signature_zpsyd6xzwtd.png

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...