![]() |
| image / image |
Since I linked up with Helene yesterday, my Game to Watch was postponed until today!!
The game to watch this week is definitely Texas A&M vs Alabama. The Crimson Tide are going to be looking for revenge against the Aggies in what's sure to be a great rematch!
In
November 2012, the Alabama vs. Texas A&M game was the one that truly put
Johnny Manziel in high contention for the Heisman Trophy as the Aggies handed
the reigning National Champions their first and only loss of the season.
This Saturday #1 Alabama will seek revenge against #6 Texas A&M, just three
weeks into the season and this time in College Station. Alabama is coming
off a bye week and sub par performance, yet win, against Virginia Tech in the
Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game. So far, Texas A&M has two blow-out wins
against two unranked teams and played one of the four halves without Johnny
Football.
But what
will it take for Texas A&M to upset Alabama once again?
This
year Alabama is much more aware of what Texas A&M can do. Last year
was the first time the schools played each other since 1988. Alabama was
not familiar with the Aggies. Texas
A&M played in the BIG 12 and 2012 was their inaugural season in the
SEC. Alabama was coming off a big win against LSU, and may have been over
confident leading into a game against Texas A&M, then ranked 15.
This
week the Crimson Tide will be looking for revenge. Nick Saban’s record
coming off a bye week/ more than one week to prepare for any given team is 7-3
since 2008. Not as
impressive as one may have thought. Nick Saban said in an October 2010
interview, “it's not an advantage or disadvantage to have a bye week. It
probably depends a lot on the circumstances." This being said, Nick
Saban has been labeled the “Master of Rematch Games” by DallasNews.com.
Since becoming an SEC coach in 2000, Nick Saban is 15-2 in rematch games the
year after his team lost. The revenge is what the Aggies should be worried
about, not the bye week.
So what
will it take for the Aggies to beat the Crimson Tide?
First,
Alabama has a young offensive line, with 3 starters going to the NFL.
They are vulnerable to blitz and pressure, specifically up the middle of the
O-line. It would benefit Texas A&M to blitz and change defensive sets
to confuse the blocking strategies for a young Alabama offense.
Second,
Texas A&M needs to take away Alabama’s traditionally successful running
game. They need to force AJ McCarron and Alabama to become one-dimensional
and throw the ball! Texas A&M can't allow 65+ yard touchdowns like
they did against Sam Houston State this past weekend.
Third,
offensively Texas A&M needs to spread the Alabama defense out and force one
on one matches. They need to let Johnny throw into one-on-one coverage or
let him use his legs to gain yardage when the Alabama coverage takes away the
pass. Manziel is a mobile
quarterback, which has served as a threat to the Alabama defense
in the past.
Johnny
needs to produce numbers like he did last year in the game that ultimately gave
him the title, "Johnny Football". Texas A&M started
off the game with 20 points in the first quarter. Johnny threw for 253
yards and 2 touchdowns as well as running for 92 more yards. That needs
to happen again.
Lastly,
Texas A&M needs to remain a team! It’s not all about one guy on or
off the field. They need to make sure they work together against a powerhouse
team like Alabama. This is their first true test of the season and they
can’t fall apart.
This
Texas A&M vs. Alabama rematch is sure to be a wonderful game and live up to
the hype. Though this game is much earlier in the season, it's going to
tell a lot about what's to come. The winner of this game has a huge chance
of making it not only to the SEC Championship Game, but also to the BCS
National Championship!
Who do you think will win the
rematch? How are they going to do it?
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
I'm off to Penn State for the weekend! This will be my first official game at Beaver Stadium. I went to Blue/White weekend (the spring game) as a junior in high school when my mom was shamelessly trying to persuade me to go there. Her dream has come true as my youngest sister is currently a freshman at Penn State. Here's something I never thought I'd say... WE ARE... no, I just can't!




I think A&M is going to take this one!! I really give a lot of credit to home field advantage in SEC games.
ReplyDeleteYou are so darn cute-- I love your button btw! :) I'm voting Roll Tide on this one! Just because I want to feel southern and say that haha! Bengals/Steelers is the game to watch for NFL this week- Monday night, shooooooot! I'm PUMPED!
ReplyDeleteThis is one game I will be watching!! I'm rooting for A&M!
ReplyDeleteAnd girl you have word verification on!
ROLL TIDE!!! :)
ReplyDeleteWhat a great breakdown of what fans should have expected from that game! I am sooo dang glad 'Bama won... for many reasons, but mostly because I can not stand Johnny Manziel!
ReplyDelete