Thursday, September 12, 2013

Songs That Define Me

It's no surprise that I love music.  I have always loved music and there's rarely a time when I don't have it on in the background!  Throughout my life I have become completely obsessed with songs, playing them over and over until I move on.  I'm a firm believer that songs can bring back memories, define a place and time and remind you of certain times in your life!

Though melodies are extremely important and the foundation for a great song, I'm also a sucker for a great lyric that I can relate to.

80's Music
My dad raised me on this music and I still love it.
Bruce Springsteen.
Born to Run, Thunder Road, Jersey Girl
I saw him in concert last year.  OMG best night, ever!

Billy Joel, Meatloaf, John Melloncamp, etc.
Piano Man, Paradise By The Dashboard Light, Jack & Diane


Backstreet Boys, NSYNC, 98 Degrees, Hanson, NKOTB
Childhood.
Oldies, but still goodies
As Long As You Love Me, Bye Bye Bye, The Hardest Thing, Mmmbop, Summertime > All Classics.


I Hope You Dance, LeeAnn Rimes
This was my grandmother's favorite song.  Every time I hear it, I think of her.


Born to Fly, Sara Evans
This is one of my all time favorite songs.  It describes me perfectly.  I don't wait around for things to happen, I try my hardest to make them happen.  And I want independence & adventure more than anything!

How do you wait for heaven? 
And who has that much time?  
And how do you keep your feet on the ground 
when you know that you were born, 
you were born to flyyyyy!!!!
... Oh, you know I love my folks, 
but I keep staring down the road, 
just looking for my one chance to run! 
I will soar away like the blackbird, 
I will blow in the wind like the sea.  
I will plant my heart in the garden of my dreams 
and I will grow up where I want, wild & free.


Settlin', Sugarland
I ain't settlin' for anything less than everything!
Enough said.


Girls Just Wanna Have Fun, Cyndi Lauper
Besides the fact that this was my ring tone/ alarm for yearrrrrsss, it's so true.
Girls just wanna have fa-un!


Free Fallin' - Tom Petty/ John Mayer
She's a good girl, loves her mama
Loves Jesus and America too
She's a good girl, crazy 'bout Elvis
Loves Horses and her boyfriend too
... and all the good girls are home with broken hearts


Love Your Love The Most, Eric Church 
Though I don't have anyone who's love I love the most, I do love....

I love sleeping in on Saturdays and I love College Football games
I love not acting my age and good Barbeque....
Hell yes, I love my dog and Jack D. in my coke...


Goodbye Earl, The Dixie Chicks
My cousins and I used to sing this at Karaoke every year on vacation.  It always brings back some great memories.


There are still tons of songs that are left out of this list.  There's a plethora of songs that remind me of high school, college and every summer in between- every road trip, dance party, and boy.  I can associate a song with all of it and I love having those added aspects to my memories!

Honestly, I would have thought that more/different country songs would have made it to this list, but somehow they didn't and I like it that way.  Country and 80's music are seriously my favorite and what I listen to most.  I'd listen to 80's over Rap any day of the week.



Helene in Between


3 comments:

  1. Born to Fly by Sara Evans has always been one of my favorites... I relate to it so much too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome songs! i love Tom Petty! Especially loving the Cyndi Lauper!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your songs! wasn't the 90s just great for music ha ha!!
    Gi
    xx

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...