This semester I was able to work with student-athletes in a
different way. I became a
student-athlete mentor. Here at
Georgia, a mentor is someone who provides leadership and guidance to assigned
student-athletes. We help them
manage their class schedule, make sure they’re studying and doing their
assignments on time. We help them
balance the roles of both being a student and an athlete, because after all,
they are students first. We meet
with them a few times a week and I was fortunate enough to grow great relationships
with my athletes.
Throughout the semester I got to see life through the eyes
of a student-athlete. I saw
perseverance with an athlete coming back from injury. I saw frustration from an athlete struggling in a class and
having to work extra hard to get the desired grade. I saw obedience and respect for the people around them who
are there to help, support, and guide them to success.
Sure, some athletes fall into the general stereotype of “I’m
too good for this”. I worked with
one who seemed to care less about the “student” part of the title, but still
worked hard to obtain the necessary grades. That type of athlete, though, is not the majority from what
I can see.
I’d say the most important thing I saw this semester was the
dedication and determination in these athletes. These athletes want to get good grades by putting 110% into
their homework, tutoring, and studying.
They also want to win by putting 110% into their practices and work
outs. They work hard, they’re
determined, and they’re committed to the “G”. They don’t take the opportunity they’ve been given lightly
and know they’re lucky to be a student-athlete.
I’m lucky to get to know and work with some great
student-athletes. I hope I can
continue to learn as much from them as I hope they learn from me.


No comments:
Post a Comment