Friday, May 1, 2015

Drink Like You're at the Derby!

The Kentucky Derby is one of my favorite sporting events of the year, if not my favorite! I love the history, tradition, and prestige of such an iconic event. I had a wonderful time when I went with my dad to the 139th running of the Kentucky Derby in 2013 and can’t wait to go back! Even though I won’t be in Louisville this weekend, I can dream of being at Churchill Downs with the signature drinks and commemorative glasses in my hand.
Festivities start today with the Kentucky Oaks Day- a day dedicated to the fillies (girl horses).  Fillies are allowed to run in the Kentucky Derby if they qualify, but the Kentucky Oaks is strictly a “Ladies Day”.  The horses “Run for the Lilies” today.  And keeping with that theme, the drink of today at Churchill Downs is called the Lily.




Here’s how you can celebrate with a delicious Lily of your own:
1oz. Vodka- Grey Goose is the sponsored Vodka for this drink at Churchil Downs
1oz. Sweet & Sour Mix
3oz. Cranberry Juice
Splash of Triple Sec
All over crushed ice (I bought a bag from Sonic- they have the best crushed ice!)
Garnish with some fruit- typically a lemon wedge and blackberry

The more popular drink of Derby weekend is the Mint Julep.   This is such a delicious and refreshing cocktail for bourbon lovers, like myself.  The secret to a great mint julep is the simple syrup.  To make a simple syrup boil equal parts sugar and water together for about 5 minutes (usually about 2 cups, depending on the amount of drinks you’ll be making) with a few mint leaves.  Then add some more fresh mint leaves and let cool, refrigerate over night.
It’s easiest to make each drink as you go by filling a cup with crushed ice (I don’t know why crushed ice is best, but it is, just take my word for it.  Again, I buy the bag from Sonic).  Then depending on how sweet you like your drink, pour about a tablespoon or a little more of the simple syrup into the glass, topped off with your choice of bourbon, stir, and add some more mint for garnish and extra flavor.  Enjoy with friends while watching the races!

Have you checked out the horses yet?  Who's your pick to win? 

 photo post signature_zpsyd6xzwtd.png



1 comment:

  1. I'm going to a Derby party tomorrow, and I am SO excited! Loved this post :)

    XX, SS || A Little Seersucker Sass

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...